Thursday, April 23, 2020

MAPP Family Members that Served in the Civil War

MAPP Family Members that Served in the Civil War

A few years ago I started a research project on my great (2X) grandfather, Appy MAPP (aka: Happy Nap). A National Archive researcher, national speaker and author, Bernice Bennett, provided me with over 200 pages of Appy’s Civil War pension file. These documents opened up my family tree through testimonies by those who were related to or friends of Appy MAPP. Basically, the pension file was an investigation into a claim by Appy that he was shot in battle or shot himself sometime after the war. Appy’s pension file and life remains a project on my to-do-list.

In the meantime as I continue to follow the “hint leaves” in Ancestry.Com, I often come across United State Colored Troop (USCT) veterans from Accomack County, VA. So recently, I decided to search on just the MAPP’s that served in the USCT from Accomack and Northampton Counties, VA (Eastern Shore Virginia). Below is a list of MAPP and each of them have files that list their enlistment dates and locations. They provide some physical features as well as locations where they fought. One file had extensive information that included a promotion to sergeant, sharpshooter, court martial and demotion.

I will not give all the particulars in this first of many postings. As I dive into each person’s records, I will share that information.


Name (DOB) Home Enlistment Year/Unit
William Mapp (1832) Accomack , Virginia 1864 38th U.S. Colored Infantry
Frederick Mapp Locustville, Virginia 1863 10th U.S. Colored Infantry
Solomon Mapp   Mappsville, Virginia 1864 10th U.S. Colored Infantry
Samuel Mapp Pungoteague, Virginia 1863 10th U.S. Colored Infantry
*Happy Nap (1843) Accomac, Virginia 1864 2nd U.S. Colored Cavalry
Joseph Map Accomac, Virginia 1863 7th U.S. Colored Infantry
Alfred Map Accomac, Virginia 1863 9th U.S. Colored Infantry
Lewis Mapp Eastville, Virginia 1863 10th U.S. Colored Infantry
James Mapp Capeville, Virginia 1863 10th U.S. Colored Infantry
Bennett Map Northampton, Virginia 1863 9th U.S. Colored Infantry
George Map Northampton, Virginia 1863 9th U.S. Colored Infantry